Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Saying Grace Means Nothing!

I am always thankful, however, I no longer say grace before a meal. Can you believe before I transitioned to a whole-foods-plant-based diet, I would bow my head in prayer over a piece of fried chicken and say: "Lord I thank you for the food which I am about to receive for the nourishment of my body for Christ's sake. Amen."

Absolute Tom-Foolery!!!

Oh, I said it before I ate Hamburger Helper (ha!), shrimp, macaroni-n- cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, buttery corn, and three cheese pizza. . . before I ate my Big Mac, or my chili-cheese fries, or my meatball sub. . . oh yes, I said it. 

Now, don't get me wrong: I do believe there is a God. And I believe He loves me. However, I think He has to think it is slap-your-knee hilarious for us to ask Him to bless a Shipley's donut - or to even present to Him a corndog that I assumed was providing me nourishment.
(Shaking My D*MN HEAD!)


To say the absolute LEAST: I. Am. Embarrassed - I'm embarrassed that I was walking so deeply in darkness that I never questioned saying grace. Momma said to say it, so I said it. Bowing over a plate of pigs feet, and chitlings, BBQ ribs, sausages or bologna "sammiches". . . yep, I said it. 


But that's not why I'm writing this post. I'm writing it, because I suspect YOU'RE still saying grace over the foolishness you're calling nourishment - over the foolishness you're serving your family
[Aside: I don't use words to BLESS my body; I use action - heck, eating a bowl of raw greens with avocado dressing IS nourishment for my body - why pray for that? My lifestyle is my prayer. You better wake up!]


I'm gon' bet all I have that you said grace today over some processed food, didn't you? Over a dead animal didn't you? Thanking God for the slaughter - Yes!!! Let's all line up to do that. 


Please don't take this message the wrong way: I'm not judging you - I'm NUDGING you. Nudging you to THINK about what you're doing. You're actually praying over carcasses and things, yes, THINGS you bought in bags or boxes . . . What are you doing? Not thinking. That's what you're doing. Just doing what the elders taught you - not questioning "nothing." (Probably still drinking cow's milk too, but that's another post). 


Insulting YOUR God's intelligence - that's what you're really doing.
All I ask is you consider that my words could possibly be true. Just maybe. 


Love y'all,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment