Saturday, January 10, 2015

Run for it! Breaking the Power of Food Addictions

My heart goes out to all drug and alcohol addicts who have received harsh judgment from the people of America. Addiction. What a powerful beast. You just can't seem to relate to who a person can CRAVE a shot of meth or someone who shakes until they get their next shot of gin. Sounds repulsing to you. Or does it.
Let's take a closer look.
What if we define an addiction as: Any behavior that is associated with cravings, temporary relief, along with long term negative consequences. Could this describe your secret affair with processed foods? This definition sure steps on my toes regarding my chip addiction. Surely, I'm not the only addict among us. Or perhaps am I one of the few who is transparent enough to admit it?
Temporary relief, huh? Is that what you're feeling when you go back for seconds and thirds knowing full well you've had enough? Trying to stay numb? Is temporary relief the feeling you have when you drive up to that fast food restaurant and pull the food out of the bag to sink your bite into that greasy saltiness before you exit the parking lot? Or perhaps temporary relief is what you're feeling when you go to the pantry and grab the pack of Oreos and go back to the empty bed and just munch. Mindlessly. Cookie after mind-numbing cookie.
We all can agree that these habits have long term negative consequences, can't we? So why do we do it? Why do you roll up to Shipleys or Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts for breakfast when in your heart you know you want to be healthy? It's called denial. You've seen the show: "Intervention." How many drug addicts raise their hand to say I have a problem? How many alcoholics admit they have a problem. It may sound trite, but there really is power in taking the first step to admitting there is a problem. Currently, I'm fully raw - my chip addiction is the only challenge I have - cooked foods are not my temptation. It's chips. Every raw fast or juice fast or water fast I've ever endured has always always always been broken with chips. That's problematic. Why, do you ask, am I so open about it?
Well, because I know whoever reading this isn't perfect either. There is no shame in my game. Not one us is perfect. There is no one who is 100% anything. Oh, people may not be forthcoming about their shortcomings, but as long as they are wearing human skin, you can rest assured they are flawed. Maybe not with the same addictions you have, but we all have them.
I could go on talking about WHY we all have this insatiable craving that needs to be filled by "something", but that would make this a religious post. My point here is to encourage you to take the power out of strongholds by telling someone - maybe Facebook isn't your platform, you're much more "private" than that. So, don't. Text your best friend right now and confess: "Girl, I have a food addiction." She'll think you're crazy, but this is about you; this is about YOU taking the first step the break free from the powers that bind.
I'm a work in progress - or rather a mess in progress - lol - but I'm working on me. Isn't it time you commit to doing the work - as messy as it may be - and go get your body! Withdrawals and all. Trust me - no amount of celery in this house can replace the saltiness of chips - but I refuse to continue to repeat the cycle of self-abuse that has kept me bound to this fat body.
I'm sure the slaves used to say: "I want to be free. . . I'm running for it. I don't know what's out there, but I know it's hell where I am."
In that spirit, I'm running for it. Will you run with me?
Let's break the power of addiction this year!
Love y'all,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment