Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Isn't It Like Double Dutch?

(Photo taken from the internet)

I liken my attempts to be fully raw to attempting double dutch.
You know that moment when the ropes are turning and you're standing, hesitantly, outside waiting for the right moment to jump in?
Well, sometimes those attempts to jump in are clean and smooth - you get in there, find your rhythm, and fly. Then, there are other times when you attempt to jump in smoothly and the rope slaps you in the face.
Sound familiar?
Yes, I'm sure it's happened to all of us. Well, this is how I feel making efforts to overcome my salt addiction and give my health a real chance.
Most days, I'll "jump in" and I'm coasting - until suddenly - the Rope. Slaps. Me. In. The. Face.
As you already know, HIGH-RAW is my life. I am a high-raw vegan for life, so THAT'S not the source of my struggle. Raw breakfast? Win. Raw lunch? Win. Raw dinner? Uh, um, er, - I haven't mastered this part of my day yet (not consistently).
If I opt for my big green salad (delicious) then I crave Townhouse crackers to go along with it (or crumbled Fritos on top). If I opt for a fruit dinner, I haven't satiated my need for the savory. Sigh. So, I reach for a bowl of white bean chili or a baked sweet potato w/ steamed broccoli (or something like that) instead.
[Aside: Let the truth be told, if I could eat chips, I would easily eat raw meals every day - hands down. . . yep, just call me Raw + chips. . . ha ha ha - that would be my new moniker] I'm serious! lol!
Anyway, I hate that "FAILURE" feeling. Don't you? I often wonder: What about me is scared to let go and just jump in and go for it? I have even included a few Jedi mind tricks to motivate me:
1. Be comfortable being uncomfortable.
2. There's nothing wrong with a little cooked food, but only raw can yield optimal healing the quickest.
3. Do the work.
etc. . . blah, blah, blah (lol!)
Some days these mantras empower me while other days I tune them out (just being real!)
What is all of this about? Well, I am sharing my struggles with you so that you know when it comes to making healthy changes, YOU are not alone.
Are you venturing to go fully raw? Probably not (maybe .5% of you reading this). However, what challenges ARE you facing as you transition to a healthier life?
Are you struggling implementing one fully raw meal? Or are you struggling eliminating too many cups of caffeine, eliminating sugary foods and drinks, bypassing aspartame, walking by the donuts or vending machine at work, adding more veggies to your dinner, adding daily exercise, asking for the salad dressing on the side, decreasing your dependency on animal proteins, switching to a nut-based milk --- something --- there's a struggle somewhere, I'm sure of it.
My attitude? I get up each day with the intent of making it. Just like double dutch - I may be entangled in the rope with this attempt, but one of these times, I'm getting in, and I'm going to laugh and jump and have a good time. Flawlessly.
Love y'all!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment